• Latest News

    Wednesday, January 8, 2014

    Livestock production -Tanzania


    Livestock production is one of the major agricultural activities in Tanzania. The sub sector contributes to national food supply, converts rangelands resources into products suitable for human consumption and is a source of cash incomes and an inflation – free store of value. It provides about 30 per cent of the Agricultural GDP. Out of the subsector’s contribution to GDP, about 40 percent originates from beef production, 30 percent from Milk production and another 30 percent from poultry and small stock production.
    Livestock production originates from a large resource base composed of the different livestock species, breeds and types whose ownership and distribution differ from region to region. Three livestock production systems are commonly distinguished in the rangeland areas; commercial ranching, pastoralism and agro-pastoralism.
    The livestock numbers have been increasing steadily (ranking third in Africa) in recent decades at roughly the same rate as the human population growth. Out of 3.7 million households in the country, 3 percent are pastoralists and 7 percent are agro-pastoralists. The livestock sub-sector generates over one-quarter of agricultural GDP. Cattle are dominant species, they account for about 75 percent of total livestock production, there are sheep and goats, poultry, and the pigs. Approximately 99 percent of livestock sub-sector belongs to traditional (small) owners, with big ranches and dairy farms constituting the remaining 1 percent.
    Most of the livestock products are for domestic market. Important exports are live animals, hides and skins. This sub-sector needs to be developed particularly in the dairy farming and its products, meat processing to meet the domestic demand and for export market opportunities.
    While encouraging private investment, the Government is to concentrate on core services to support the development of this subsector.
    The animals are a source of manure, hides and skins. They are also potential source of draught power (800,000) for cultivation and transport. Livestock provide alternative savings to banks with reasonable protection from inflation small ruminant industry play a crucial role.
    • Blogger Comments
    • Facebook Comments

    0 comments:

    Post a Comment

    Item Reviewed: Livestock production -Tanzania Rating: 5 Reviewed By: Kilimo mifugo
    Scroll to Top